Monday, October 15, 2007

Non Fat Chips (really ;)

Non Fat Kale Chips..That ought to bring on a smile!


Very Green Kale


Ready to Eat!

Kale is a very healthy, and very versatile vegetable! It is rich in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium. I was shocked to find that Kale was one of the most common vegetables in Europe up until the Middle Ages. Now how do I know all this? Why, thanks to Wikipedia of course !

Kale chips are extremely healthy and tasty. They have almost no fat, and in my opinion tasted better than most of those scary oily, trans fat laden chips out there! I first heard of this recipe from a nutritionist who was brought into work one day to help us all get healthy and live better (ahem!) lives. The only 2 things all of us remember from that session was this wonderful Kale chips recipe and the amazing food the nutritionist handed out at the session (tch tch..I know thats sad :()

I hope I am redeeming myself by posting this recipe, hoping someone out there will get off their potato chip addiction (I soo hope the nutritionist who tried to help us useless souls is reading this :P)!

I am sending this guilt free chip thats actually err good for you to Hima for her Whats your favorite diet food event! Check out her event if you want to purge yourself of all those tempting holiday goodies :(

Now if that doesn't make you smile, may be this will?

The Feed A Hungry Child (FAHC) campaign aims to feed every hungry children, one at a time. This was envisioned by VKN of My Dhaba. To share your smiles with children around the world, visit Vijay, Mahanadi or Jugalbandi's blog along with a few others listed on their blogs to make your contribution. As if the smile was not enough, these wonderful bloggers have thrown in some great prizes like books, spice extracts, dinners, sarees for kids n more!
Kale Chips
Ingredients
1. 3-4 leaves of fresh kale
2. 1 tsp Olive oil or Non fat olive oil spray
3. 1 tsp paprika powder (optional)
4. 1 tsp ground black pepper
5. Salt to taste. Make sure you use less salt that normal as kale absorbs salt, and your regular amount may render the chips to be salty
Method
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Wash and dry the kale leaves
3. Cut/tear the kale leaves into bite sized squares. Make sure to discard the thick fleshy center
4. Lay them out on a baking sheet
5. Drizzle with olive oil
6. Top with salt, pepper and paprika (optional)
7. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or till they become crisp. Be careful as these chips bake really quick, so you may want to check after the 1st 5 minutes.

Enjoy :)

15 comments:

FH said...

Kale chips are so unique!! Love it:))

Swaruchy said...

Dhana.....This is new to me dear .....:-)
will give it a shot.....sounds interesting :-)

Laavanya said...

This is mind-blowing. Who'd have thought of kale chips!! Neat. :)

TBC said...

Wow! Kale chips. That is so unique. I've only tried kale once in a stir-fry and found it a little bitter.

Deborah said...

Who would have thought of this? It looks great. I wonder if chard or spinach would work as well?

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

What good way to eat ur veggies.

Christina Kim said...

Kale chips...a new innovation to vege!! You should run this campaign and it will be hassle free for parents to force vege down their kids' throats!:D

Cynthia said...

This is new. Thanks for sharing.

Dhana said...

Thanks Asha!

Sirisha, let me know if you try it

Thanks Lavanya. They are really tasty!

TBC, try it as chips and let me know if you still find it bitter

Deborah, interesting idea about trying it with spinach and chard. Ooh, will try it this weekend!

Mocha, isn’t it?

Christy, what a good idea. May be I should send this in to Jamie Oliver for his healthy food in schools project ;)

Thanks Cynthia!

Hima said...

That looks awesome. Healthy and tasty both at one shot is always a tempting recipe. Thanks for sending it to me dhana. See you at round up.

Dhana said...

Thanks Hima. Look fwd to the round up
!

Meg Wolff said...

This is a GREAT idea!!! I will blog about it! Thanks.:-)

Meg Wolff said...

Dear Dhana,
Looked for your email but not to be found. So, think this is a great recipe and would like to mention it in my blog next week...with a link to your blog and the recipe. I am always looking for kale recipes for my friends and this looks like a winner!!! I hope you win the "best fat free recipe contest" and I loved your kale info too. Would you mind if I used one of your photos? Please advise. Thanks

M said...

I made it and it was really good. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that.
And he

just bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that:

Thanks for lunch!
my page :: http://tituloriginal.blogspot.ru/2011/06/linkin-park-vuelve-poner-banda-sonora.html